View Single Post
Old 22-May-2019, 11:20 AM   #9
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Marketing, not common sense rules corporate

OTAFAN,

Thanks for your comments. I wanted to address all your thoughts. You are a welcome addition to this forum.

Quote:
Hey Bobs: I know your questions and thoughts have come up in the forum several times since I've been here. I recall rabbit73 and AdTech both commenting that if antenna manufacturers could make money off a new design etc., it's possible we could see updated inventory. But it's tough in today's market as you know.
that's the problem with today's companies. They have to make maximum dollar on everything they do. They waste money and other areas but nobody notices that. I digress. My point is simply that this is an opportunity just like when color TV came out and then digital.

Quote:
However, your point is well taken and according to all the information I've read about "cord cutting" continuing to rise, you would think that the remaining domestic manufactures would be taking notice. I know it's a somewhat complicated issue with numerous thoughts abounding. I guess we'll see.
Well, the manufacturers have taken notice and just feel like they let this one go because it might cut into the big bonuses the company presidents get. They could present it to their investors as "see, we dodged a bullet we didn't have to redesign our antennas they still work"

Quote:
Right now I've seen various "knock off" antenna designs across the web, mostly scaled down versions of outdoor antennas or "new" indoor ones claiming longer distance reception, etc.
yes, there's lots of knock off antennas out there some of them very well made by the way. but some of the ones are cheap pieces of that claim 200 miles of reception and come with their very own Rotator that fails in the first month

Quote:
I have read that when 3.0 OTA kicks in over the next several years, even indoor reception will improve with current antennas and other interesting options. However, the FCC is giving TV manufactures 5-7 years to incorporate 3.0 into their tuners. LG maybe the first to incorporate. So, in order to receive "all the goodies," consumers will have to plug their antennas into a small box and connect to their TV's, just like we did when switching over from Analog to Digital back in 08 or 09. Whoopie! But at least that's something to look forward to, I suppose.
I have to admit I haven't read much on that 3.0. So most consumers will need to buy another box?

Quote:
Anyway, maybe others (insiders) will chime in on what the "skinny" actually is going on.

Take care, Bobs.....
Yes and thank you for your retroactive introspection!

I hope others do chime in now that the troll has been banished. We've all agreed to move on and one of the ways is to reactivate this forum.

bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote