View Single Post
Old 14-Oct-2010, 9:22 PM   #33
cardinalfanrc

So things are looking up - mostly. I haven't seen any pixelation since moving the antenna to the other side of the chimney and adjusting the direction. I've only had limited viewing time of about 15 minutes per day but haven't seen any picture problems on any channels during the day or evening.

Now for the bad news. Mtownsend was correct in noticing that the last set of elements (largest at the back) on the antenna were pointed the opposite direction so that they were not alternating with the other element sets. I fixed this. But while I turned one of the elements around to point right instead of left, the top metal bracket for the element fell off. The head of the pin keeping the bracket on top popped off. My wife can attest to the loud cursing coming from the roof. I reattached the bracket by wrapping both ends with bare metal wire to attach the top bracket to the bottom bracket (which the element in between). I though about using electric tape but didn't want anything with insulating properties. I really have no idea how the signal conduction from the antenna works. Is this likely to cause any significant problem? The signal strength seems OK on all channels except for channel 7, where it's about 82 (I think it was about 88 before). On the bright side, the picture currently seems OK in my limited viewing.

kb2fzq, thanks for the fire station info. I'm not sure what to do about it, except hope that it's not my real problem.
cardinalfanrc is offline   Reply With Quote