View Single Post
Old 11-Sep-2015, 4:51 PM   #24
Irata

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Reading reviews on Amazon is the absolute WORST possible way to select an antenna. Antenna selection is more of a science and most reviewers are a very, very long way away from being scientists. Reviews set unrealistic expectations because the reader cannot possibly know the factors that lead to either success or failure for any particular customer.

Start with your precise location and a defined list of requirements and capabilities/restrictions. Someone who is experienced can then go over those lists and determine what is and isn't doable and what's needed to try and pull it off. As already noted a few days ago, you prospects are very poor for your stated goals.
The biggest restriction at the moment is that it will need to be roof mounted. Though my neighbor offered to give me her tower I do not have the capabilities to take it down, move it and reassemble it. I would have to outsource that to someone and I doubt I can afford that at this time. Of course I am also assuming it would be expensive. I have had e-mail conversation with a local guy who stated he does antenna installation. Though he wasn't very forthcoming with information I may inquire with him if that is work he performs.

I would prefer not to have to mount a 12' long antenna if there are other options available. A roof mount antenna option that will continue to allow me to get the stations I have and give me the best possible chance at my desired goal. rickbb suggested a better antenna with 15-20 of mast with guy wires. Guy wires, outside of knowing their basic function, is not something I have ever messed with. I'm not a handy man either, at least not a quality one. Couple limitations there.

Indiana weather can be fickle. It's cold in the winter and snowy. Spring and early summer gets very heavy storms with pretty strong winds so whatever I did would need to be able to stand up to that.

I don't know if I answered the list of requirements and capabilities/restrictions properly. Let e know if I didn't.
Irata is offline   Reply With Quote