View Single Post
Old 28-Aug-2015, 5:07 PM   #6
Irata

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Realistically, reliable reception of the Indy stations at over 70 miles is probably going to be somewhere between extremely challenging and "ain't going to happen" even if you do everything right as far as antenna and amp selection, mounting site selection, and are able avoid any impairments in the immediate signal path out in front of the antenna. There are a lot of variables and the outcome depends on a number of things that may not be within your control such as buildings, trees, potential mounting height, willingness to deal with a very large antenna, and so forth. It's also going to depend on which of the Indy stations are going to carry the games that are of interest to you. Of course, and ESPN/NFL Network games won't be available with an antenna.

So, do you have a very clear line of sight to Indy? If not, you can expect reception to be negatively impacted.

Can you either handle a very large, 14' long antenna, or are you more in the camp that a smaller antenna with its lesser reception is the needed compromise?
Well, I had hoped for better news. I planned to compensate with Sling TV for ESPN.

To be honest, I am not sure about LOS. I have not climbed up on my roof to see. For the most part from street level there is not really any obstruction it seems that direction.

I had resigned myself to the idea that a large yagi style was going to be needed to get Indy stations. If there is a smaller antenna that has the same kind of range that would be great.

On a side note, some of my neighbors have old OTA antennas on 30-40 foot towers that have probably been there since the 70's. I'm a bit jealous.
Irata is offline   Reply With Quote