View Single Post
Old 6-Jul-2023, 2:29 PM   #15
Dagwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
No, can't be that. I'm literally in a woods and am surrounded by thousands of acres of woods, plus there is a hill between me and the OTA transmitters. The signals bend enough for me to get them.

Leaves, or lack of them doesn't seem to be the reason for signal/no signal here. Previously, I would start picking up Fox the end of September; leaves are still all on the trees.

I would start losing the signal in March/April before the trees even bud out. It has to be an atmospheric change from the seasons.

At any rate, I have NEVER been able to get Fox in June and it's still coming in like gangbusters.

Where's @Tower Guy and @rabbit73? Anybody know how to properly tag someone on this forum? And where did OTAFan go?
Hi all, hope all are well. Rabbit, good to see you and thanks. You're 90?? Wow.

The mystery is over of why Fox is coming in like a storm 2-3 months later into the spring-summer than it ever did, and I don't think it's because they increased their output. I've had a roof antenna here since the mid-'80s although a very old one that was given to me. I got a completely new setup in 2011 I think.

As I may have mentioned, I live in a hole and there is rarely any wind here. I will get some gusts in the spring or fall when unsettled weather is the norm. But just gusts, never anything steady. It's what blew my ladder down in December 2017 as I linked to earlier.

I was walking between my barn and house yesterday and just happened to look up. My antenna has moved, by quite a lot. It must have been the wind back in the spring. I've always tightened it as much as I dared but apparently it moved anyway for the first time.

Previously I would tune my TV to Fox, the weakest station, while I was still getting SOME signal (fall//winter/spring). I would turn the volume way up on the TV, open the windows, get on the roof and tweak the antenna around till the sound was steady. Every few years I would have to go up and move it a few inches, but haven't touched it in several years now.

I thought I had it in the sweet spot but I wasn't even close. The antenna is 10 or 12 feet long, and I bet the end has recently moved by around three feet from where I had it.

Knowing that I am south and slightly east of the transmitters, I wouldn't think it would pick up anything at all according to where it's aimed now. But everything's still coming in flawlessly, including Fox, the weakest one.

I will get a couple more clamps from the hardware store one of these days and beef it up. It's the first time in my life I'm watching Fox in the summer! No audio cut-outs or pixelating!

Last edited by Dagwood; 6-Jul-2023 at 2:32 PM.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote