View Single Post
Old 9-Oct-2015, 2:15 PM   #1
NashNet

Corner of attic an issue? Choice of antenna

I've decided on cutting the cord and I feel so free already. I moved from FIOS in NJ to Comcast in Nashville. Different providers, same suckee suckee. I'm new to OTA DTV and learning but "the more I know the less I know." Essentially, I'm confused. My budget is $150-$200 but I think I can convince her about an investment that will last long - even after we move out of the condo in a year. I'd appreciate your thoughts and advice. The channels I need are PBS (ch 8 VHF), ABC, CBS, and NBC (all on UHF). (I'm going to subscribe for services that give me sports and HBO).

I know the FCC allows me to place an antenna outside but I'm not willing to fight the HOA nazis. So, I've decided on placing it in the attic. Here are some notes:

-I can hang it from the joists or screw it down in the attic. It will be about 20 feet above ground. I can squeeze in a 100" long antenna but it's tight and will almost reach the corner. Do I need something that big though?

- There's foil clad return duct to the right of where the antenna will be (just a foot or two to the right) but it won't be in the way. The area has just the ply and joists. Is it a problem if the antenna points to the corner of the attic? The photo shows the corner which is approximately 0 to 4 degrees azimuth. My channels are in the 352 to 8 degrees arc.

- I want to drive the signal to 2 rooms - an upstairs bedroom (about 35 feet away) and a downstairs living room (50 to 60 feet). I think the splitter will be located near the upstairs TV and cable to living room will go another 15 feet down to the living room TV (straight beneath the BR TV).

- There is a birch outside about 30 feet from the antenna location but its canopy is slightly to the left of the antenna direction. The peak of the next apartment block is in line of sight and is approx. 150 feet from the antenna. There are more 5 more similar buildings like that at similar height.

- My roof juts out 6 feet beyond the neighbor’s roof. Luckily, that clearance/gap between his roof-edge and the tree is exactly in the direction of the transmitter. Narrow, yes, but I think I'm clear.

- Do I need to ground the antenna if it's placed in the attic?

Is it worth it to get a separate antenna such as ClearStream 5 just for one H-VHF channel (the important PBS?) or could I use an antenna than can do H-VHF well and UHF. I have these in mind (I'm open to others, of course):
-Xtreme Signal HDB8x-NI-8 bay (or 4 bay?)
-Winegard - HD8200U or HD7698P?
- ChannelMaster CM-4228 HD

Thank you. This site has been of incredible value to me. I know at least a dozen people in central NJ who love this and aim to capture both NYC and Philly signals. In effect, they'll be better off than any fiber or cable service!

Ron

Radar-All.jpg

PotentialAntennaLocation-Attic1.jpg
NashNet is offline   Reply With Quote