View Single Post
Old 6-Jan-2016, 8:43 PM   #3
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Hi, Mike:
Quote:
3 db gain with two bays but then loose 3.5 with a "splitter/combiner").
Not true. When a splitter is used as a splitter, the loss is 3.5 dB, but when a splitter is used as a combiner, the loss is 0.5 dB.
Quote:
I have a $35 Winegard up right now
Which one?
Quote:
At a minimum, I would like a better antenna since I loose some of the stations I am getting off the back of the antenna once in a while.
For best results, the antenna must be aimed at the transmitter.
Quote:
What I really want is the impossible .... a Canadian station 75 miles north 2 edge .... probably impossible.
If you mean CFTM or CFCF, yes, impossible.
Quote:
Everything I look at with a reflector has no gain in reverse ( thought I only need to get 8.5 miles LOS ).
That's normal. The reflector adds more gain in the front by taking it from the back.
Quote:
Right now I get 3/5/33/22/44/57 ( funny since the antenna is aimed at 57 the rest are off the back of the antenna).
I don't think you are going to be able to much better than that.

Quote:
At a minimum, I would like a better antenna since I loose some of the stations I am getting off the back of the antenna once in a while.
You will need two antennas. A low gain antenna aimed at the local stations, and a high gain antenna aimed west (WCFE PBS?). They are not easily combined, so you will need an A/B switch to select the antenna, or connect the west antenna to the TV antenna input, and connect the local antenna to a separate tuner that connects to the aux input of the TV.

Last edited by rabbit73; 6-Jan-2016 at 8:57 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote