View Single Post
Old 28-Oct-2018, 5:54 PM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Hello, waddo66

Thanks for the interesting photo.

Quote:
I was traveling up in northern rural Ohio last week
What city in northern rural Ohio? I want to look at a signal report to see the signals. An exact address of an antenna would be even better.
Quote:
Also, most of them had the setup like the stock photo below.
What is the source of the stock photo? What is the location of that stock photo antenna?
Quote:
Just looking for some educating.
1: Why are there 2 antennas on the pole? (Assuming multiple direction reception.)
Your assumption is probably correct.
Quote:
2: If for multiple direction reception then why are they 2 different styles?
The style of the antenna is determined by the channels in a particular direction.

It is the real channel number (also called physical channel or RF channel) that determines what antenna is needed.

VHF-Low, real channels 2-6
VHF-High, real channels 7-13
UHF, real channels 14-51

The virtual channel number (like 5.1 or 5-1) is a holdover from the analog TV days to maintain the identity of the station, and is what the TV displays. By convention, the virtual channel number is given in the decimal form to keep it from being confused with the real channel number.

The upper antenna is a DIY antenna called a Gray-Hoverman. It is designed for UHF channels, but has two rods, one at the top and one at the bottom. They are called NARODS that enable the antenna to also receive VHF-High channels.

The lower antenna is factory made and covers all three TV bands: UHF, VHF-High, and VHF-Low.
Quote:
3: How would these 2 antennas connect to the TV? (As easy as a splitter?)
Sometimes using a splitter in reverse as a combiner works, sometimes not. You just have to try it.

If you don't have all the channels after combining that you had when the antennas were separate, that simple method of combining doesn't work for you.
Quote:
It just really intrigued me after seeing so many homes with this type of setup.
If you see many homes in the same area with a similar antenna system, it is because they all have a similar reception problem in that area.
Quote:
Got me thinking about my setup and being able to receive channels from multiple directions possibly.
The solution for your location depends upon what channels you want and their direction.

Last edited by rabbit73; 28-Oct-2018 at 5:59 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote