View Single Post
Old 23-Jan-2010, 7:33 AM   #9
mtownsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolFool View Post
After some research, I found that my fear was accurate. Once unfolded, it's "impossible" (to quote someone I read) to "re-fold" the elements without damaging the antenna.
I'd ask the RS salesman if it would be OK to return an antenna (even if it's been unfolded) if it doesn't work out. I think it's a completely reasonable request to try out an antenna as it was originally designed and still have the option of returning it if it doesn't work out.

I have a feeling that the answer you get will depend on who you're asking, but I hope that for the sake of RS's image/reputation, they will say that it's OK. Returns are one of the reasons RS still has decent business. Without that differentiation, everyone would just go online and buy stuff for less.

Quote:
Can I test the antenna without completely unfolding the elements?
Maybe, but it's hard to say how close you can get to its final position without accidentally popping it into its "permanent" position. If the elements are not that close to their intended spacing, the antenna performance will not be as good as it should be.

Quote:
If not, is there an acceptable alternative to the HBU-22 you could recommend that might not have this design?
All the combo antennas have a "snap into position" design so that they can pack and ship "large" antennas in a relatively small package. Each model has their own mix of plastic or aluminum "catches" that hold the elements in their intended position. Sometimes they are easy to undo and sometimes they are not. I have not looked that closely at the HBU-22 yet to see how "permanent" they made their design. I might take a look at one over the weekend to get a better sense.

I know that some of the Winegard latches are also hard to undo. They're not completely impossible, but very tough to undo by hand (the right hand tools and/or friends helping out can make things a little easier).

I couldn't say off hand which antenna would be the easiest to uninstall (haven't had to return any yet, knock on wood). The only times I've had to take down an antenna was due to storm damage or age related replacement.

Quote:
Sorry to keep bugging you, but that's what can happen when you're so generous and responsive.
That's why we're here!

And who knows, maybe someday, your experience will be valuable to others too! Actually, there are probably people reading this right now that are already learning something from your saga. That's the wonderful thing about having a forum to discuss these things.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote