View Single Post
Old 21-Jan-2010, 3:17 PM   #1
FolFool

Can I really use a set-top antenna?

My HD TV won't be arriving until next week, but I was hoping to have an antenna ready to try out once it arrives.

Here's my tvfool data:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...c5720b1f587ed1

All the stations I care about are located in the green ("set-top") section, within a band that's just 3 degrees wide (214-217).

I do NOT want to roof-mount (tile roof, association, etc.). I'm in an 8-year old home with a wiring distribution system that goes into a CM splitter/combiner in a box in a closet. I noticed there's what looks to me to be a spare CAT 5 cable run in the attic, so I'm hoping if I install an antenna there and hook it up to the cabling I can just change the input in the combiner and, voila, Comcast out, OTA in. We will eventually have 3 HD TVs connected, but there are at least 2x that many coax connector jacks (?) throughout the house.

So if I can really use a set-top antenna to get those stations (including 2 in the Hi-VHF area), is it unreasonable to hope that an attic antenna would also work?

Bottom line: What antenna would you recommend I try? And do I need a pre-amp as well (I'd estimate the attic cable run to the distribution box to be 75 feet or more).

Thanks in advance!
FolFool is offline   Reply With Quote