View Single Post
Old 29-Jan-2012, 1:14 AM   #18
RenoPaul

MisterMe,

Sorry if I sounded "snippy", but my original post was regarding how well the fractal antenna worked for me, and for anyone that read a ruler and a protractor, and can draw a few lines, bend a bit of copper wire around some wire brads or thumbtacks, it could be a very inexpensive way to determine if buying and installing a commercial antenna was feasable.

The first reply made to my post was about "how the fractal community seemed to move on to other designs because of high VSWR. To me, in a receiving antenna, not as critical as a transmitting antenna, mainly because a transmitting antenna is generally tuned for 1 frequency, or small bandwidth.

My results were what I thought to be a sharable experience, and without pointing fingers, it seemed as if I was getting put down for bringing back a discussion on the fractal antenna.

I'm far from an engineer, but have a pretty good basic understanding of standing waves, tuning, and the application of a very few types of receiving antennas.

I also understand that I'm a newbie here, and have noticed in this thread (and many others) that replies generally are in a non-layman's realm of understanding, or seem to be promoting commercial antennas, so I was trying to use a bit of diplomacy in my comments. The last one was a bit harsh, but it surely seemed as if my opinion was being shot down because of "modeling". (see the first reply to my initial post)

I used a couple of bad examples regarding signal strength from a close station, however when a $ 150 commercial antenna mounted outdoors couldn't compare to my DIYtenna...

Well, nuf said.

Thank you for your input, and correcting my assumptions.

However, a friend of mine did try to apply the commercial about that sealing stuff in a can, used on a screen door, in a rowboat. Yup, it worked, as long as you put the sealer on the higher pressure side! Hence, in application every is applicable. And a theory is still a theory until a working model (not a computer model IMHO) is created from that theory.
RenoPaul is offline   Reply With Quote