View Single Post
Old 26-Jan-2015, 11:50 PM   #31
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Okay, got your coordinates and your location. My estimate of your location was fairly good, eh?

My suggestion for the moment is as follows:

Run down to Woodland Hills to Frys (call first and verify stock) and see if you can pick up an RCA preamp. It's the best you're going to do in any retail store and the Frys website indicates they have that SKU in their system. I don't know of any other retail chains in the SoCal area that might carry it. You can always order it from Amazon or Walmart.com or wherever if time isn't important.

Mount the DB4e on the northern gable of your roof. From what I can see in the available aerial photos, that spot appears to put that tree across the street just out of your line of sight towards Mt Wilson. Aim antenna just to the left side of that tree as you're looking at it.

Pop the plugs out of the RCA's case and make sure that the SEPARATE/COMBINED switch is in the "SEPARATE" position and that the FM Trap is IN or ON.

Install the preamp as close as possible to the DB4e using the shortest possible cable and connect the DB4e to the UHF input of the amp.

Connect the VHF antenna to the VHF input of the amp or you can leave it out of the initial testing and ignore VHF for the moment, your choice, whichever is easier.

Run a temporary coax from the output of the amp indoors to a location near your test TV set. Connect the power inserter between the coax and the TV set following the directions included with the RCA. Plug it in and turn it on.

On your TV set, re-run your channel scan with the mode set to ANTENNA.

Let's see what you get from that experiment before doing anything else. If you get no UHF at all from Mt Wilson, there's probably none to be had at your location due to terrain shadowing, upgrading to a slightly stronger antenna won't make any significant difference.

Let us know how it goes.

Best of luck!

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote