View Single Post
Old 10-Aug-2015, 12:05 AM   #15
Maury Markowitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
I don't know much about LANs, but would it be possible to have two HDHRs connected to the network to do what you want?
https://www.silicondust.com/
Yes, but the various products out there aren't designed to work this way - with the exception of the older SD boxes anyway. MythTV, on the other hand, kind of assumes that's the situation - zero or more tuners get folded together into a single list. You can even say that it should pick a particular channel from one receiver vs another if the same signal comes in from more than one source. If I can get this working it might just be a $70 solution to a lot of multi-directional issues. And it's a DVR too.

Quote:
This only works if you don't have any very strong signals that would overload the preamp, which would create spurious signals in the preamp that would wipe out your weakest signals.
So I have thought about getting a preamp for the Buffalo station and leaving the Toronto one alone. Channel 19 would otherwise kill me I think.

BTW I've thought over a lot of possible topologies.

One is to put the USB sticks on the antennas and then run a USB cable down to the Raspberry Pi which could be anywhere. But over 5 meters you need a repeater (~$10).

The other is to put all of the gear on the roof, and then run a ether cable up and use POE to power it all. Now you get zero line losses, and the Pi and sticks are small enough to easily weatherproof.

Or if you want to use your existing RG6, you can get an ether adaptor for it and use that instead, but then you can't do POE so you need a power cable of some sort. But you would for a preamp too.

And finally, the easy way, run the RG6 to the box in the basement, accept the 25 feet of signal loss and just run with it.

I think each of these would have upsides and downsides for different people and situations. But I guess the last option is probably the easiest.

Quote:
I also did an FM fool report based on your estimated location that shows some strong FM signals that could be attenuated by an FM filter to prevent interference with TV reception.
That's interesting, I never considered that issue. I can get a "channel list" easily enough from the car. Any suggestions on a filter?

Last edited by Maury Markowitz; 10-Aug-2015 at 12:18 AM.
Maury Markowitz is offline   Reply With Quote