Thread: antenna help
View Single Post
Old 3-Oct-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

I added some additional to my previous post after you posted...

My usual assessment is that trees will cause a loss of reliability of both reception predictions and actual reception, depending on the density of the foliage. This is most pronounced on UHF channels, high VHF less so. Wintertime reception is usually adequate but can get lost as soon as the sap starts rising in late winter or early spring. Summertime reception would be sporadic, at best.

The C5 would offer a decent shot at channels 7, 11, & 13 from NYC. KVNV just signed on a couple of days ago (carries ME-TV only at this time) on VHF 3 but I would have no expectation for the C5 to pick it up. If you want that station, then go with a 2-13 antenna instead or add a low-V only antenna just for it.

For UHF, I'd probably pick any of a number of our UHF antennas as a candidate. If you have to tilt the antenna's aim upward to focus on the horizon in the distance, the nod would go with the 91XG. If that's not necessary, then the DB4e or DB8e would likely do well with a slight edge to the DB8e.

A low noise, medium gain pre-amp such as our PA18 would be recommended along with an appropriate mount and coaxial cable as needed.

Because whatever signal arrives at your rooftop is twice diffracted, it will tend to be very weak, scattered for different channels, and layered for different channels. You may find that certain channels come in only when the receiving antenna is in certain locations while other channels are received in different locations. There is no cure for this except patience in trying as many spots as might be feasible, then selecting the best compromise should one be required. I always recommend that each location be thoroughly tested before drilling any holes because, if you call in for assistance, you will likely be told to move the antenna and try again, then repeat as needed. Forewarned is forearmed.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 3-Oct-2014 at 12:45 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote