View Single Post
Old 24-Jul-2013, 2:38 AM   #1
vakeroo

Question HD Stacker, CM-5020, 91XG signal issues

Hello everyone!!!

For the past few weeks I decided to cut the outrageous satellite bill off. I've been doing some reading here online and asking a few people in the area about OTA reception. Anyways, I made the initial decision and purchase the RCA ANT751 placed 15ft high. I was very impressed to see there is reception of a few channels from towers almost 50 miles away, so I added a Winegard AP-8700 Amplifier and see a little further. The Amplifier added a few more channels which made me very happy.

This was all done according to tvfool.com
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46aecd9a0613ec

Now, this reception was really good and so I decided to experiment a little more and purchase Denny's HD Stacker and complement it with the Winegard AP-8700 Amplifier and place it 25ft high. Now, to my surprise the reception was worse. I lost a few channels 29, 7.1, 9.1, and 45 channels went away, not counting channels I had really good reception went to very weak reception. My intent here is to receive as many channels from 150 to 160 magnetic degrees. Now, I'm pointing my antenna utilizing my Military Lensatic Compass and there is no trees or big hills around me, I'm located in the desert

I know I'm not an expert, but at the same time I think I know what I'm doing. All my cables and Eagle connections are Eagle RG6 quad shield. So I don't see any reason why the HD Stacker is giving me such low performance. The RCA ANT751 does a better job, why?...

Anyways, after doing some reading I ordered an Kitztech TV Booster KT-200-COAX TV Antenna Booster Remote Power - Coax Fed and see if the lower noise factor makes a difference. The improvement after installing the booster was very little, some pixilation went away on some channels like channel 50.

At this point, I wanted to try a different antenna so I purchased the Channel Master 5020 and give it a try. The result was better than the Denny's HD Stacker but it wasn't any better than the RCA ANT751 .

Well, continuing to get better results I purchased the Antennas Direct 91XG. It was installed and it was the same performance reception than the RCA ANT751 .

After these results with Channel Master and Antennas Direct, now I am considering the Xtreme Signal HDB91x from Solid Signal. Does it sound like a good idea?

I would like to get some input from the experts on TV Fool.

If you are reading my post, thank you for your time and I hope some of the more experienced guys can guide me on OTA reception troubleshooting.

Last edited by vakeroo; 24-Jul-2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: The degrees specified were wrong. Apologies.
vakeroo is offline   Reply With Quote