View Single Post
Old 23-Nov-2011, 5:45 PM   #1
Jammer

Behind a hill in southern Minnesota

Hi Folks.

Trying to get OTA reception at my new house. I'm only 45 miles from the cluster of transmitters north of Minneapolis but am shaded by Manitou Hill, a local topographical feature three miles north.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec128c97bb4e6b

There's a college on top of Manitou Hill with buildings as high as 17 stories which means that there isn't really much of a clean edge for diffraction so the signal levels are probably worse than the simulation shows. Height won't help me because even if I believe the simulation, I need 80 feet agl to get LOS and again in reality the buildings and trees on Manitou Hill will increase that.

With rabbit ears and a UHF loop I can get my tuner to lock on to 11 and 29 but there are dropouts. It won't lock on reliably to any other channels even if I add them manually although at times and in certain rooms I can pick up 9 and 23.1 (rf channel 3). This leads me to conclude that the signal levels are actually worse than the signal analysis shows, because it seems to me that any of the channels that are 20 dB over noise ought to come in ok.

I'm planning on putting a 91XG and a YA1713 on the roof and feed them into a CM7777 amp on the mast. The PBS affiliate on channels 17 and 23 is going to be the hardest to get and I'm hoping that the 91XG will pull that in. The 91XG should outperform anything currently on the market on those channels and won't be as bulky as a combined VHF/UHF antenna.

I figure that the YA1713 is the obvious choice to get the two VHF channels (9 and 11), since there's no low band VHF in my area.

The main question I have is the amount of vertical separation I need to have between the two antennas so they won't interfere with each other.

Also would welcome any other advice or comments.

Have considered putting up a tower on the hill 1/2 mile east of my house and running coax, signal is LOS and 20 dB better there, probably not worth doing though for the obvious reasons.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote