View Single Post
Old 5-Sep-2017, 5:36 PM   #15
shovel99

Smile Thanks to All. Complete Victory being declared here, now!

Thanks ADTech for the information.

With what I surmised was a fault in the cable run and connections from the splitter downstream of the LNA 200 at the antenna in the attic to the master bedroom, I bought a 50 foot cable and connected direct from Antenna in attic, through the drop down stairs to the MBR TV set. BAM! TV picture with problems. This 8 year old (very expensive Panasonic when it was made with beautiful picture on cable and DVD) was the problem. Replaced it with a 28 inch Samsung and voila, problem solved.

By that time I had learned as ADTech stated that (1) there are oversized connectors made especially for Quad Shield or if you cannot get them, (2) you need to strip the outer layer of insulation off. The connectors then fit on reasonably easy.

So the last step of my installation was to flip my antenna 180 degrees, toward the last one weak station I was not getting with the antenna pointed exactly opposite direction toward a cluster of most of the other stations I needed from the City of Atlanta. BOOM! The front focus of theCM4228 was able to pull the station 31 miles away, over the hills and mountains between us, and the back lobe was sufficient to pull the stronger Atl stations. Some side channels were not affected as they were being pulled by the edge capability of the antenna.

Splitting the upstairs TV worked just as I had originally planned... there was enough signal from the Winegard LNA 200 to make the run to the distribution amp in the basement. The new antenna location in the attic... providing a clear path around a lot of high run HVAC ducting up there, had the added benefit of being 20 feet closer to the two story drop, reducing that line to 50 feet from 100 feet. In the basement, I was able to locate the distribution amp to remove 15 feet from each of two of three TV's.

The Belken PPC VT-200 connector installer I bought at Lowes for $30 is a very solid, professional unit that worked well once I knew to strip the extra layer of shielding off. The Ideal 92-650 F type compression connectors, also from Lowes, were very high quality, solid units. I believe these were designed for standard double insulated cable, and that Ideal makes a different connector specifically for quad shield if you can find them.

So in spite of my location next to a creek, down behind huge trees and houses in every direction, 13-17 miles from my primary cluster of channels and 31 miles from the hardest to reach, my setup gets them all! With a $35 per month subscription to the "base" 60 channel package from DirecTVnow.com, I have almost my entire package for which I am/was paying $100 per month.
I could not be happier, and as soon as my sweet TV Queen bride gets familiar with the source switching, we will commence to saving $65 per month.

Thanks again, TVfool.com and the folks here.

Shovel99
shovel99 is offline   Reply With Quote