View Single Post
Old 8-Jun-2018, 5:27 PM   #7
gordonlw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgagne99 View Post
It is remarkable that you were even getting WSPA (CBS) on Real Channel 7 with the Mohu leaf since it is not designed for VHF-hi signals. It's not surprising that WYFF (NBC, real ch 36) flaked out first as you backed away from the window, since it is pretty far down (NM=14.7 dB) on your report. It likely was not the amount of "open" space between the antenna and the window that was the issue, but rather a diminishing view-factor to the signal source.

It is difficult to predict reception in an attic. I think you will need a fairly high gain directional antenna that will fit in a small place. The usual rooftop recommendations of the Winegard 7694P or 7698P will likely be too big to fit in your attic, judging by the pictures. A 4-bay such as the DB4e with a VHF-hi kit might work, or maybe the Clearstream 2MAX or 2V (or maybe the 4MAX or 4V). The issue will be with your VHF-hi channels, and none of these options are that great for VHI-hi, as they all only have a single dipole VHF-hi element.

I might suggest an RCA751, or maybe a relative new-comer-- the BoostWaves "Yagi" (www.amazon.com/Premium-BoostWaves-Antenna-...), which actually looks like a log-periodic design. I don't have direct experience with it , but it looks like it might be the right size for your space. Another option might be the Denny Stacker. In my experience, it has performance similar to the Winegard 7698P (maybe slightly less), but in a more compact shape due to putting the VHF elements above the UHF ones.

Finally, as you might have guessed, you don't enter any antenna data into the TVFool report generator, as nascarken suggests. You enter your location and the height Above Ground Level (AGL) which you plan to mount the antenna. The report that is generated has a number of assumptions, including a clear view (no trees, buildings, or attic blocking the antenna). Which is why I would lean toward trying an antenna with more gain that the report suggests will be required, since you are doing an attic install. In my opinion, an RV antenna such as the one that has been previously suggested is not at all suitable for your application.

As always, start simple with relatively short length of new, high-quality RG-6 coax (50ft or less), one TV, and a buddy to help you aim the antenna. You can worry about splitting to multiple TVs and possibly use of a distribution amp later.
Thanks for the info!
gordonlw is offline   Reply With Quote