View Single Post
Old 30-Mar-2013, 3:47 AM   #13
Ynot713

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
If you don't see everything you know you should, stop... figure out why, fix it, then move on to testing more of the system. Any trouble shooting done after this point is futile and confusing unless you resolve the problems already present. Did you fine tune the location and aim of the antenna? How many pieces of cable were between the antenna and TV? How many feet of cable was between the antenna and TV? Now would be a good time to try a new coax, directly from the antenna to the test TV. It would also help us a great deal to know what signal you thought you should get, but did not. Did you do a new scan for channels? Call sign and real channel number is the ideal way to identify the signal.

Yes, take the antenna, preamp and TV to a location with weak signals and try it there. The signal power shown on your TVFR strongly argues against the use of any preamp, especially one prone to overloading. The signals in the air at your location are too powerful to test that type preamp with.

BUT....
It does not matter whether it's defective or overloading... it's not needed or even useful. It's adding to your problems. Get your money back, get rid of it. It's stopping you from focusing on obtaining a clean signal from the antenna at the end of a reasonable length of coax.

With the preamp and power injector totally removed from the system, it sounds like there are still two or more pieces of coax between the antenna and the basement distribution point where you split. Is that because there are splices or because there are additional splitters or other accessories? I'm not as convinced as you are that the cables and connectors are free of trouble. Every connection is a point that can go open due to corrosion, wear due to repeated assembly/disassembly, water intrusion, etc.

- When I say I don't see everything that I should I mean I don't have all the channels that I had when I used the cheap indoor antenna with the built in preamp in the attic and the injector located just before my splitter. I still get like 22 channels when going direct from the antenna to a TV in the basement. Though some of them are duplicates.

- The antenna is aimed at 277 degrees.

- Between antenna and TV in the basement there is one solid length of cable connected directly into the antenna and the TV. It is approximately 50 ft of cable

- I already ran a new coaxial directly from the antenna to a test tv. I just dropped a line off my roof and through a window. I got the exact same results.

- I did a new scan. I was getting 5 or 6 more channels. I will try to get exact call sign information for you.

Lets just assume that I ditch the preamp. How do I solve my problem with the issues with the signal dropping to the approximate 7 channels from the local towers after the signal is split?

Right now I have a http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
antenna hooked up inside my living room directly to my main TV with the power injector connected and I am getting more channels than I did with my roof antenna directly connected by a single coax to a single TV in my basement. I don't understand that at all.

Without the preamp, there is only one length of quad shield rg6 running from the antenna, into my attic, to the basement and into the splitter.
Thanks again for your patience and help.
Ynot713 is offline   Reply With Quote