View Single Post
Old 15-Sep-2011, 8:59 PM   #1
bennyfactor

Any way to get distant major networks with local PBS nearby?

I have recently purchased a Winegard SS-3000. I live in an loft-style apartment with tall north-facing windows, and have it mounted about 25' AGL. There are no tall buildings to the north of mine (the apartment is in the most northerly block of commercial-type brick buildings in the center of town). I am able to pic k up the local university PBS network (WTIU), but can't get the main networks from Indianapolis (NBC and CBS are what I care about).

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...14f315370d548c

I got the SS-3000 since it seemed to be the most sensitive indoor antenna available, but it's hard to find dB measurements for indoor antennas. It came with a small external amplifier.

Is there any amplifier which I could purchase that could let me pick up WTHR and WISH? I realize that with such a strong transmitter nearby an amplifier might get overloaded, is there some sort of VHF-only amplification that would work? Or something that could filter out the UHF PBS signal before the amp?

Since it is a city-block apartment I can't mount an external antenna. If there is some other, more sensitive indoor antenna than the SS-3000 I wouldn't be opposed to it, either. An outdoor antenna like the Antennas Direct DB4 or the Winegard 4400 would fit in the window as well, but these are UHF-only. Is there a VHF that has a similar configuration? A yagi-type antenna is no good, obviously.
bennyfactor is offline   Reply With Quote