View Single Post
Old 5-Dec-2013, 9:50 PM   #1
Flint Ridge
Junior Member Wannabe

91XG with Y10-7-13 preferred setup?

I'm upgrading my antennas and will be combining these together, hopefully providing the best of both available signals.

How far apart should I keep them? My lowest physical channel is 8 on VHF. Therefore I need to stay at least half of that wave length below the 91XG? Math was less than 3', so I was thinking at least 42" or so. However, with other items on my tower, what is the max distance apart? I'm striving to get the 91XG as high as I can "reasonably" on the mast. I do not yet know if I will need a preamp. Weather has not allowed me to try the 91XG without the current amp. And I need to ensure that IF I have to go with a preamp, that I do not have leads over 6'?

Likewise as I gather parts for a warm day I see both the UVSJ being used to "combine" these signals into a common lead. Also Antennas Direct EU385CF-1s UHF / VHF TV Antenna Combiner is commonly recommended here. I am striving to limit noise as that seems to be the real enemy. I'm not inclined to go with the Radio Shack separate UHF/VHF inputs - at least yet. (Better to have 2 amps low noise amps and then combine?) Advantage/disadvantages to each methodology?

I presume the closer and inherently stronger VHF signal will be stronger and the distant UHF will be much weaker. What if any issues may I face there with bringing these signals together?

Thanks,

Flint
Flint Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote