View Single Post
Old 19-Oct-2011, 1:45 PM   #7
phone man

For now we're still with TWC and only because of a $39 per month retention department special offer (was paying $89!!) for the next 10 months. Most evenings when we watch TV, we're watching OTA or using online streaming. I like to ignore the CATV and leave the cable box off just to see what it's like without their services. It's when my wife says "back that up, what did they say?" or I want to pause the TV to go to the kitchen that we realize it's the DVR we'll miss when the CATV is gone. Most of what we record is available on OTA channels so it's not really the content on CATV that we'd miss.
I've looked at the few available DVD recorders with digital tuners, and also at OTA DVRs like the Channel Master 7000pal, Magnavox MDR 515H, and Tivo offerings. Tivo had a real interesting offer recently ( $99 for the Tivo premiere unit and $9.99 monthly for 1 year) I almost jumped but paying monthly for a DVR just doesn't sit right somehow. If the Tivo monthly price stayed at $9.99 instead of increasing to $19.99 at the end of a 12 month contract (yuck), I'd be a lot more inclined to go that way.
Either way you cut it, an OTA DVR unit is going to cost a few hundred dollars, either all at once or thru monthly subscription costs.
phone man is offline   Reply With Quote