View Single Post
Old 24-Sep-2012, 1:31 PM   #3
sethpb

Thanks for the reply.

When I tried the pre-amp before, it was installed on the mast approx. 2-3' below the antenna. The power supply was plugged in on my covered and screened in back porch to an outdoor outlet. That coaxial run was probably 30'. My only guess is that there were probably too many turns and too far of a distance. Plus maybe the connection wasn't so good (flush) on the outdoor outlet. Aside from drilling holes all the way through my porch roof, I don't know how else to get it to an outlet on a shorter run. Even then, it would still have to make at least two turns, maybe more. Also, would an outlet on the covered porch be sufficient or does it need to be inside the house?

As for the amplified splitter, it is currently hooked up in the basement where the coaxial enters the house. Should this be moved further away from the pre-amp or is it fine where it is? With the pre-amp installed, there would be at least 1-2 connections between them (from power supply-grounding block-amplified splitter). I honestly can't remember if I tried the pre-amp with or without the amplified splitter. That is worth exploring again.

The antenna, in it's current location does clear my house/roof by at least 4', maybe a littel more. On the mast, it's about 5 1/2' up and pointed directly between the edge of my roof and the edge of my neighbors roof. My neighbors roof is a good 40' away and at least 5' feet or more to the right of the antenna (if looking down the length of the antenna). There are some leyland cypress trees directly in front of the antenna but those are probably 30' away.

There is one other area of my roof that I tried out. It was about 15' higher and definitely cleared my roof and completely cleared my neighbors house. However, the above mentioned cypress trees are a lot closer in this area plus there is a huge oak tree directly behind those. When I tested my reception in this location, I did get ABC but it was a pretty weak signal. The signal that I received on NBC, CBS and Fox was extremely weak and didn't even come in most of the time. With that in mind, I moved the antenna back down to the lower area. At least there I receive NBC, Fox and for the most part, CBS.

It sounds like giving the pre-amp another shot is really my only other option aside from having the antenna professionally installed on a steeper, higher area of my roof.

Any thoughts/comments on the length of the pre-amp power supply run and the location of the power outlet?

Thanks again for the help!
sethpb is offline   Reply With Quote