View Single Post
Old 22-Nov-2012, 8:25 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

If you can't see the stations you want with the antenna connected to one TV using a short cable, it's unlikely a preamp will help. (If the tuner has a poor noise figure one may see some improvement.)

To see more stations, more reliably, the existing antenna needs to be mounted in a more favorable location or you need 'more' antenna. At this point, the least expensive option would be to try different locations in the attic. Also, considering that the C2V is a compact antenna, you may be able to find a wall mount location that works well.

Once you have usable signals at the antenna, then a use a preamp to overcome the losses from cable and splitters. A CPA-19 is rated at 17 dB gain. That's nearly equal to the total loss through 175' of coax and a 4-way splitter. I would try the CPA-19 and no DA. A DA can be added latter if the need is proven.

In terms of 'more antenna', look at the path profile of any of the stations on the 133° azimuth (click on the call sign of a station on your TV Fool report). You see a very tall terrain 'feature' 4 to 5 miles away. If I was in your situation, I'd consider going to a 43XG or even a 91XG to get the directivity which would combat the anticipated multipath. To receive the High-VHF signals, I'd use an Antennacraft Y5713 or Y10713. The two antennas serve separate broadcast bands so they are easy to combine using a UHF/VHF Signal Joiner (UVSJ).

I would roof mount. High and clear of obstructions is nearly always better. At 40', I'd have my safety harness on for sure.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote