View Single Post
Old 14-Jan-2015, 3:34 PM   #1
nukeman

Antenna install on outbuilding, how to ground?

Hello,

I just completed our new house build and want to install a HD antenna. My intentions are to mount the antenna on my 40x60 shop that's about 60ft from the house and connected with buried conduit. I'm thinking about this for several reasons; it doesn't require any holes in the roof of my house, aesthetics, and it is a clearer line of sight to the TV station antennas. I bought a Channel Master 4228 antenna, and a Channel Master CM-7777 amplifier. I ran RG-6 to the proposed antenna location to test and I got the reception I expected. Now I'm ready to mount the antenna permanently and have some questions regarding grounding it.

I've been doing a little research and what I've found says I need to ground both my antenna mast and the RG-6 as close to where it enters the building as possible. I've also read it's best to ground everything to the same grounding rod that the house is connected to.

The shop does have electrical service that comes from the house via a 2-pole 100 amp breaker from my house electrical panel to another 2-pole 100 amp breaker in the shop's electrical panel. However, the shop doesn't have a separate ground rod.

What's the best strategy for this? Is my idea to mount the antenna on an outbuilding reasonable? Should I ground the signal wire before it enters the house or the shop? Should I put in a new grounding rod to ground the antenna mast? When it comes to protecting my family and my possessions it's worth taking the time to do things right, even if it means changing my plans if necessary.

I've attached picture of my layout and the shop's electrical panel.

Thanks for the help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg overview.jpg (11.4 KB, 985 views)
File Type: jpg shop panel.jpg (261.3 KB, 962 views)

Last edited by nukeman; 14-Jan-2015 at 5:00 PM.
nukeman is offline   Reply With Quote