View Single Post
Old 4-Dec-2010, 2:50 AM   #11
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutton-javelin View Post
Sounds good etc. I'm checking on these UHF models.

Will older antennas work as well as new ones? I have an offer for a free UHF antenna, I'm not sure what model. I'll post it if I find out.

I think I would like to maximize the number of stations if I can. It sounds like a good project.
If by "older" you mean older design, Yes... There is some misinformation running around that would try to make you believe that you need a special 'new' antenna to receive HD or DTV signals. The truth is that in quite a few areas, most OTA broadcasting was in the VHF band before cable providers dominated -- then monopolized the industry. Many people have not used their own antenna since the addition of many UHF transmitters. With the transition to DTV broadcasting many former VHF stations switched to UHF channels (for several reasons). So, for many folks with an old VHF only antenna on their roof, a new UHF or combination VHF/UHF will be needed.

The bottom line is that to successfully receive OTA signals, you need to use an antenna designed to receive the 'real' frequencies of the stations you are interested in. If you have an old combination VHF/UHF antenna that is in serviceable condition, by all means, give it a try. Antennas don't care about the modulation being digital or analog.

If you are interested, here is a link that shows the difference in sensitivity for quite a few antennas. http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 4-Dec-2010 at 2:52 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote