View Single Post
Old 25-Feb-2014, 4:58 AM   #4
dmfdmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvcmty View Post
FM is received best with an antenna designed for FM frequencies, 88 to 108MHz. The RCA ANT751 is designed for TV RF channels 7 to 13 and 14 to 51, 174 to 216MHz and 470 to 698MHz. The elements on the ANT751 are too short to offer any gain receiving FM stations.
Yeah, it was a shot in the dark tapping my ANT751 but it wasn't difficult. Previously I made a custom folded dipole optimized for 105.3 but it still had static. This was mounted indoors on the wall at the top of the ceiling and I was pretty disappointed when it did not work. The ANT751 test was just to see what the signals were like on my roof but since the static remains I think I've co-channel interference.

Quote:
An antenna like the FM6 on a rotator would be better for FM radio. If you wanted an omnidirectional antenna, a FMSS would work, but it would have trouble with stations that have a co channel warning flag, because it would not offer any rejection for signals from unwanted directions.
I think the Omni would make things worse. I thought about putting my custom folded dipole on the roof and aiming its null right at 51/43 degrees where the co-channels broadcast.

Quote:
Also, from the FM fool image you linked to, there are two strong signals on 107.7 within 66 degrees of each other. The first is KSAN, the second is KSAN-FM1. KSAN-FM1 is an on channel booster for KSAN, depending on how they are synchronized it is possible they could be adding destructively at your location.
I am working on a plan-b, or I could be has high as plan-e or f, but now that it is (possibly) co-channel interference I going to think about how to compensate for that. Thanks for the reply.
dmfdmf is offline   Reply With Quote