Thread: 91 XG Modified
View Single Post
Old 1-Jun-2020, 4:34 AM   #1
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

91 XG Modified

So I made lemonade out of lemons today. I ordered a couple of 91XGs through Amazon last week. I was excited when I got home from work, tore the Box open and found at the UPS handling system destroyed part of the antennas. The booms were bent. When I called Amazon to get the antennas replaced they said they would send two more and I could keep the bent ones.

I took that smashed up boom from the 91XG and I straightened it. It cracked in a couple places, not all the way through. I took a piece of half inch "C" channel and slid it in to the cracked booms. Better than new now.

I also made a new support boom out of my leftover 1 inch square stock with the .125" wall. It's overkill, just the way I like it! Between the "C" Channel inside the long booms and the under boom support, an amazingly strong antenna. I think it will hold up well in the wind.

I did several modifications as I went along. My first mod was to take an extra Center section, remove the front section and add that in between the original Center section and the front section. The signal was Stronger on some channels. Then I added an extra front boom. The results were dramatic. I was very happy with the results. I still have another short rear section that could be added for now I'm happy with what I've got.

I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

Here's the modification to the support boom. The riveted end is for stability.

This end can slide in and out, I found it necessary as the spacing on the directors on the 91 XG is tight:

Boom sag before adding the enhanced boom support:

The last two pics just show the "C" channel that I inserted to reinforce the antenna booms:

]

Last edited by bobsgarage; 1-Jun-2020 at 3:10 PM.
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote