View Single Post
Old 5-Dec-2017, 2:23 PM   #97
jrgagne99

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstone View Post
Is my CM 3414 4 port amplifier considered a splitter?
No. In this case, I think its positive gain should be counted to the positive side of your ledger. Rabbit may correct me on this.

Quote:
And a question on connectors.

Do I count as a connector each connection to the antenna and combiner box as well as the connection inside to the splitter/combiner and the connection to the CM amp/splitter.
Or does this mean only if I connect 2 pieces of coax?
In this case, I think "connectors" means barrel connectors that join two pieces of coax.

Quote:
PS: How do you check signal strength in various locations?
There are expensive (several hundred dollars) signal meters out there, but the poor-man's method is to use the signal quality indicator on your TV. Some use words like strong, good, and weak, others have numbers, some (like my Sony Bravia) give really useful information like the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR).

An intermediate approach is a little homemade widget using a Winegard camper/RV signal strength meter (Winegard RFL-332 SensarPro Black TV Signal Strength Meter), which requires 12V power (eight AA batteries) and a DC-blocker because it is designed for use with amplified Winegard RV antennas. Read R. Ross's review of the SensarPro on Amazon for instructions on the build. I built one and it works pretty well.

Last edited by jrgagne99; 5-Dec-2017 at 3:30 PM.
jrgagne99 is offline   Reply With Quote