Thread: Fine tuning
View Single Post
Old 4-Sep-2013, 3:31 AM   #1
Pete

Fine tuning

Hi to all, I've spent many hours reading hundreds of posts, but I still need your help/advice.

Below is my radar-chart,

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae2a419d83a4

I live in a two storey house. Behind my house there is a forest about a mile wide by half a mile deep. Trees are about 20 feet taller than my house. Surrounding area is basically flat. No hill, or mountain. The other three sides of my house are surrounded by two storey houses.

I installed a RCA ANT751 in my attic and pointed it S-W. I received 14 HD Canadian channels. All perfectly clear. I tried many orientations for the antenna and found the one which gives me the most channels.

Yesterday we had some pretty bad weather over upstate NY and where I live. Lots of clouds, rain. I did a scan and received an additional 8 American channels; 7.1 WWNY, 7.2 WNYF Fox 28, 7.3 WNYP Fox 28, 18.1 WNPI-DT PBS, 18.2 WNPI-DT PBS, 18.3 WNPI-HD PBS, 28.1 WNYF Fox 28 and 28.2 WWNY HD.

My question is do you think that I would be able to receive all Canadian and American channels if I were to install an Antenna Direct XG91 in the attic? Or do you have another suggestion? I do not care about VHF.

The antenna can't be on the roof due to seagulls and pigeons who love my roof. The roof is 1" plywood + asphalt shingles.

I have a second question.

The ANT751 is connected to approx. 50' of cable and then into an Antronix 1 port 15Db amplifier. And then (1 foot of cable) into a Microline 4 ports 7db/port amplifier.

The house was built 5 years ago and is completely wired for cable, internet and phone. If I bypass the second amplifier and go straight to a tv (located some 30' away), I only get 12 channels when I do a scan, but when I connect it to the second amplifier and then to the tv, I get 14 channels when I do a scan. Would I be better off buying a 30 amp amplifier to replace the 15 amp?

Thanks to all for your help.

Pete

Last edited by Pete; 4-Sep-2013 at 3:35 AM.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote