View Single Post
Old 17-Oct-2018, 8:54 PM   #6
gossamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
He might have had a right to do it or he could have been a jerk. It depends upon how you made your connection. Can you show us a photo of what you did?
It's all really been disassembled now.

Quote:
If the antenna is outside, the coax shield should be grounded with a grounding block that is connected to the house electrical system ground with 10 gauge copper wire for electrical safety and to reject interference.
That's what I was using.

Thank you for your explanation and diagram. I had used wireties to fasten the coax to the mast, so obviously I'm doing that wrong. Where can I buy the standoff described in the diagram, to extent the coax off of the mast?

Quote:
For further compliance with the electrical code (NEC), the mast should also be grounded in a similar manner to drain any buildup of static charge which will tend to discourage a strike, but the system will not survive a direct strike.
I went out to look again at the big wire mess and here's what I learned:
  • There appears to be an old Verizon telephone wire terminating in an old junction box in the house and going all the way to the pole.
  • My antenna coax cable is grounded to our main house ground at the base to a coupler around where it enters the house
  • The ground wire that was cut was my antenna mast ground wire
  • The cable company is also using the house ground with a basic coupler at the base, near where it enters the house

I'm thinking the best place would be to either use the same basic coupler as my antenna, which ultimately leads to ground, or perhaps somehow splice the existing ground and add my ground to it?

I've included an image that describes what I'm seeing. For some reason it isn't displaying it inline with the IMG tags.

https://imgur.com/UNYrReE

Thanks
gossamer is offline   Reply With Quote