View Single Post
Old 27-Oct-2014, 1:22 PM   #6
tradewinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
You must be in a terrain "hole" to have numbers that low at those modest distances in central Florida.
Yes, indeed I'm in a little ditch here but I agree with those distances I was not expecting to be in the "impossible" category given newer technology that may be able to assist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgr View Post
Ok, 10 & 12 are VHF high, and the most sensitive readily available antenna for that band is a Antennacraft Y10713. It has about a 9 dB gain, so add that to the noise margin of the channel at each height, and then subtract some for the tuner, preamp and cable losses, say 6 dB? Those stations may become reachable at 50 ft, at 6.9 and 4.0 resp. Your Y5713 is about 6dB IIRC, which is half the power gain of a Y10713.

Ch 28 doesn't change much with 50' height, staying impossibly weak at -18 dB NM (still tropospheric, ie badly obstructed from your location).

There's no guarantee that 50' and a Y10713 would bring in those two stations, but I'd try it if I could get up that high. They are close enough that you'd probably get both of them.

NB I'm an engineer and have been playing along here for a while, but not in the industry... hopefully one of the industry people will correct me if needed.
Yes, getting to 50ft is definitely going to be something probably not worth doing even with a gauratee. The peek of my roof is about 30 AGL where I can probably get an antenna into the attic around that height.
tradewinds is offline   Reply With Quote