View Single Post
Old 27-May-2016, 8:03 PM   #27
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsgarage
The Toshiba TV is a Theater Wide HD Model # 57H93 Chassis# TAC0361 manufactured August 2003.

I had thought I bought it earlier.

Oh yeah, Using Coax for all connections, either Zenith of rooftop antennas.

Anyhow, I split the combined North/South signal so I can switch back and forth between both between input 1 & 2 on the TV. One splitter output goes to the Zenith tuner and one goes directly to the TV.

It appears that after rescanning the Zenith and the TV, both inputs are working with the Zenith. I put the Zenith on Input2 and the TV antenna on Input 1.

Here is what I found. The definition is noticeably better with the TV tuner. The Zenith DTT-901 doesn't have the quality picture of the TV. Details appear more fuzzy using the Zenith tuner. I see a difference as I switch between inputs.

I was hoping the Zenith would work better as it is a more recent device, but I guess I don't have to have it. I decided to switch the Zenith over to input 1 on the TV and the picture quality appeared the same as on input 2.

Here's the funny part. Just like I mentioned before, input 2 did not respond to the combined (N-S) antenna signals, just a whitish static on the screen.
Input configuration shows both inputs as "antenna". The other choice is, of course "cable".

So, I have no idea why input 2 works great with the Zenith tuner and doesn't work with the antenna directly.

At any rate, I may be ready to distribute the signal to different rooms in the house.

I have a distribution amp, a Radio Shack "Bi-Directional Cable Amplifier" #15-1197. It has four outputs. Should I just use it now?, or use a one in-four out splitter and risk the higher loss factor?

The longest cable to the master bedroom will be approx. 35 feet. To the kids room about the same. Another to the Toshiba Projection screen maybe ten feet, the same for the kitchen TV. .

G'night, Bob
Thanks for the report.
Quote:
Here is what I found. The definition is noticeably better with the TV tuner. The Zenith DTT-901 doesn't have the quality picture of the TV. Details appear more fuzzy using the Zenith tuner. I see a difference as I switch between inputs.
That is normal. The output of the Zenith is SD not HD. The difference is easy to see with a large screen. The Zenith also has composite output, but it doesn't have component output for better quality. Your TV will accept either. You would need a set top box with HD output via component cables.
Quote:
I have a distribution amp, a Radio Shack "Bi-Directional Cable Amplifier" #15-1197. Should I just use it now?, or use a one in-four out splitter and risk the higher loss factor?
Try it with a passive (non-amplified) splitter first and let your signal strength readings be your guide. With digital, you either get it or you don't. You will soon find out how weak the signal can be and still have satisfactory reception.

If you need a newer distribution amp, try the Channel Master 3414.

Quote:
I was wondering if I could put a splitter at the antenna signal and have one signal go directly to the TV and one signal go directly to the (Zenith) tuner.
You could do that, but why would you want to? The only reason to use a separate tuner is if combining the two antenna systems doesn't work and you lose channels.

Last edited by rabbit73; 27-May-2016 at 9:58 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote