View Single Post
Old 10-Apr-2020, 8:14 PM   #7
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Tripelo! Thanks for your comments. I did another rescan after "Straightening" the booms with a cable over the top.

Bear with me as I can't access the print screens from my scan but at least, but the signal improved a bit, I'll post those shots later.

I am going to investigate all these items:

1. The balun at the antennas:

OK, I can swap those out easily, will do that after all these other have been adressed:

2. Unequal coax lengths from antenna to preamps

Well, since I made my own coax and was pretty damn close measuring, I'll rule that out for now. But, I will need to make new cables for the final set up when I know what that is.

3. RCA Preamps, Internal filters aligned different yielding phase differences

OK, Just to clarify, I may not have mentioned earlier, I am using the Winegard LNA-200 (right now) on this array after combining. I do want to replace it ASAP

I do have an RCA PREAMP1R but it is on the upper array combing the comparing antennas, a 30-2476 and HDB91X. If and when I get this array working and I combine it with my 2 91XG's I will try to use the RCA preamps, sorry for the confusion,the RCA's are in my final plan drawing.

4. Combiner - Internal circuitry unbalanced

I am using the Holland GHS-2PRO. It was recommended. However, I did buy 4 so I can swap them out and recheck. I also have other combiners. I have a Winegard CC7870, but I was hesistant to use that.

5. Unequal coax lengths from preamps to combiner

That won't apply, at least for now as I am pre-amping the signal after combining. That brings up a question though. What are the opinions on preamping each antenna before combining? I had considered preamping with a low noise preamp before combining. Like the KT-200.

Also, I have seen and read that the LNA-200 is a very noisy amp, so I did order a Kitz Tech KT-200 for this project. 5.1 dB difference on VHF!

The other possibility that it could be... Maybe most likely?

In order to avoid the guy wires for the upper array, I have had to shift the antennas several times and last night before climbing off the roof for the last time, I saw the reflector were about an inch or two out of alignment. Also I will get out my tape measure to make sure the boom separation is equal.

How much effect can the thin guy wires have? At least one 1/8" cable passed between two forward directors.

I noted that the aim had shifted also, I'll retrain the aim.

Thanks, Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pre-amp noise chart with 200 amps .jpg (371.5 KB, 2996 views)

Last edited by bobsgarage; 10-Apr-2020 at 8:23 PM.
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote