View Single Post
Old 10-Sep-2014, 12:56 AM   #1
McInRantz

Antenna and Mounting Suggestions in Ohio

Hi All. Again, I am contemplating mounting an OTA outdoor antenna. I have DirecTV, but, recently, they were in dispute with one of my local stations and I ended up getting a cheap rabbit ears in order to get my station back. Right now I am getting all of the local OTA channels (I think), but I'd like to get more. I generated a report, the address of which is:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d24399e9ca1278

As I said, I'm picking up all of the stations that are in green with my cheap rabbit ears ($10). I'd like to install a tower, but that's not really going to be in my budget right now. I live in a 1 1/2 story house. I'm not sure how tall it is. I'll have to measure it. Id say it has to be around 25 feet tall to the peak. Does that sound right? I have a chimney on which I could install an antenna. I'd like to put a rotor on it, too. I think the people who owned the house before me had an antenna on the roof at some point in time.

I guess my questions are which antenna do I need to be able to pick up the stations in the yellow and red area of my report (Detroit area stations)? How tall of a mast can I install to my chimney? Do I have to guy wire (I assume I do) the mast? Will I be able to receive these Detroit area stations (stations in grey) with a chimney mounted antenna? Is mounting an antenna and mast OK for a chimney? Will the added wind strain be damaging to my chimney which could cause its collapse? I'm guessing that the top of my chimney is maybe 4 or 5 feet above the peak of my roof. I saw some cheap masts being sold at a local Menard's. They look and feel cheap. I really don't want to use those. What all do I need for this job?

As an added "bonus", I'd like to be able to use this antenna for FM signal also? Is that possible? There is a Detroit area FM station (90.9) that I'd like to get better reception for. I can pick it up in my car, but not on my home stereo. Is this possible? Here's my FMFool Report:

http://www.fmfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29

Also, assuming that I can receive the stations in the grey area of my report with a proper setup, am I really gaining anything? Are they just duplicates of what I am getting now from my local Toledo, Ohio stations? Is the cost worth it to gain these stations.

Also, I went to the AntennaWeb website and I couldn't get their analysis to work. All that loaded was a Google map; no antenna recommendations, no available channels in my area, or anything else. Just a Google street map.

Thanks for any help. If any other information is needed from my end, please ask and I will provide.

Mac
McInRantz is offline   Reply With Quote