View Single Post
Old 27-Jan-2010, 5:31 PM   #1
Dougjh

Gray-Hoverman Antenna is Excellent

I thought I would make a post for any others who are having DTV reception issues. I went through several "fringe" antennas. They would work well, but there was always an issue with the weather causing the signal to drop out. After being discouraged by all my efforts, I decided to give it one more shot. I built the Gray-Hoverman. Now it will take the better part of a weekend, or if you work fast and have all the materials, you could do it in a day. But I just wanted to let everyone know that this antenna is awesome. Signals which were 50-60% and would drop out completely are now 70-90% and they hold that signal right on through rainy weather. I think it might have to do with the antenna having both horizontal and vertical polarization. I am comparing this to a very LARGE log-periodic vhf/uhf/corner reflector deep-fringe style antenna. A booster was used on both. I built the double g-h, which phases two together. Its almost as easy to build them both as it is just one.

Also, I am still using 300 ohm foam twinlead, which, if installed properly will out-perform coax as far as DB loss. You do have to take care on how you run the twinlead,though. Note that this is for UHF only.

Anyway, if you have trouble with DTV, and are good with pvc pipe and simple tools, then you wont be disappointed.
Dougjh is offline   Reply With Quote