View Single Post
Old 3-Sep-2011, 5:24 AM   #27
Rich

Wow. Ok, i went out and bought the Vizio M221NV 22-Inch Full HD 1080p LED LCD TV at Sams. I plugged it in upstairs (second floor), attached the Leaf antenna, scanned and what do you know? I am getting 31 digital channels! Unbelievable. The pictures are absolutely clear. The antenna isn't even standing up, it's laying flat on the dresser. I have not tried it downstairs but based on those results, I am now thinking it will work.

I went back and looked at my scan versus what I am getting. It appears that everything is coming from the south; nothing from the north (Cheyenne). That is fine with me. I get WGN, ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and PBS. For those who are curious, the lowest station on the list I am getting is KDTV. The picture is incredible. Could the signal be being passed by a repeater? I looked on a site that maps these but did not see any. Anyway, I am a happy camper. My wife likes it too. She said the set is to small, but since the point is to save money, since it is in our bedroom, and since the next step up would be another $80 at least, I think it is staying. So far, we have about $320 in this project; that's about 4 months of satellite costs.

For the main TV downstairs I was going to get a Roku box. However, she said she wants to be able to record. So I am thinking I will get a DVR that has internet capability, another Leaf antenna (after I make sure this all works downstairs), and a DTA converter. I will look around on this site for DTA converter recommendations. If I can do this for around $200, then the cost for all of this will break even in about 7 months.

Thank you everybody for all of your help. I have certainly learned a lot on this site.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote