Thread: Ant Selection
View Single Post
Old 30-Nov-2016, 2:18 AM   #4
Sparkynutz

Wow! Fast replies!

My house is on the south west part of town.
Madison channels is what I'm hoping for. There are about 10 or so houses within 1/2 mile of me that will be directly blocking or close and some trees here and there. I would need a huge tower to get above them and I'm not willing to do that or spend that much. I'm hoping to keep it under $100.
The brick house behind me is exactly facing madison direction. I'm not 100% sure on exact direction but my mounting spot may allow it pointed be teen their house and their detached garage. I need to get a compass or something with exact degrees on it. Unless there's a better way?
I've been without regular tv over a year now, just thought it would be nice to have local news if I wanted it.
I had a large roof mount tripod and biggest $250 antenna RadioShack carried 15 years ago when I bought my house and got all the madison and Milwaukee channels fine. A couple years ago I put a new roof on prematurely when I found out it was leaking in a few spots and didn't want to ruin a new roof or chance new leaks putting it back up so I sold it.
There's a stink pipe for wash machine sticking out of my roof I'm going to attach the short 2" exhaust pipe I already had laying around to and run the new wire down the side of house and come in next to the current cable. I'm not replacing it or using that, just using the box as an entry point and keep everything clean looking which is why I want a small antenna. Smaller the better. If I get channels listed in other post I'll be happy. If not I just won't have an antenna. No big loss.

I'll look into those other antennas and try what I have now see what happens.
I can return these easily which is why I bought them. Buying and returning online would be a lot bigger hassle if they don't work that's why I'm trying to do more research and ask here first.

Thanks for the input!
Ryan

Edit- the first two are definitely way to big and heavy to mount outside where I'd like.
The overhead service is a few feet away straight south from where I'm mounting and don't trust anything big there.
The last one maybe, but smaller would make me feel better.
I'm not putting new holes in the roof and that spot is my best option avoiding that.

I have an area in my attic above my garage that could accommodate the first or 3rd antenna but sacrifice about 8ft in mounting height vs being outside and signals have to go through my shingles and 1x6 pine decking.
I kinda like that option better and would shorten the cable probably 20 ft atleast.

What would you do?

Last edited by Sparkynutz; 30-Nov-2016 at 2:57 AM.
Sparkynutz is offline   Reply With Quote