View Single Post
Old 14-Sep-2015, 11:12 AM   #3
4.6 Explorer

Craig: I can certainly understand that concept for any type of Yagi having various 'boom' lengths multiple directors, flat or corner reflectors. Or, for a log periodic or regular delta wave and simple dipole design
But for all these different and seemingly the same, 8 bay type antennas I see various styles of driven elements. Then we see on the advertising and/or the packaging where they claim various gain factors.

I suppose the question is: what determines the various gains on these 3 different types of driven elements "collectors". I'm only referring to the 8 bay flat bowtie shown in the pictures I submitted.

I also sense a lit bit of BS coming from the manufactures based on "under ideal conditions". When I say "BS" (carefully crafted words). I simply refer to claims 'the way they are written' in order to mislead the average person that has no RF background, Joe Average Consumer. Even legal beagles can't correct these claims unless they, too, have an RF background.

So, strictly on 8 bay reflector antennas, how do they determine the different gains, between brands for each 8-bay.
I can certainly understand and appreciate construction differences that would allow one antenna to be more durable than another and hold up to bad weather, hence they are built differently mechanically, But, when they all seemingly look alike with subtle differences, what changes the gain?
4.6 Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote