View Single Post
Old 31-Jan-2015, 5:31 PM   #10
timgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSmithe View Post
So the balun would attach to the Y5713, correct?

I am trying to imagine/follow how the setup would be.

so this is what I am looking at:

Eaves mount with a 10' pole.

- DB4e on top
- Y5713 under (separated by 3-4')

balun attached to Y5713

- cable from balun to RCA TVPRAMP1R (VHF in)
- cable from DB4e to RCA TVPRAMP1R (UHF in)

RCA TVPRAMP1R - FM trap 'on'

From RCA TVPRAMP1R "out" cable to DVR (probably Tivo OTA) - assuming for the moment that we are only running one tv.

(if two-three TVs - RCA TVPRAMP1R "out" cable to Ideal 85-133 3-way splitter - then the from splitter to DVR and other two/three TVs.)

check on grounding ...

Connected and watching crystal clear free tv

Does that sound about right?

I will learn this stuff!!!
Yes. The Y5713 will have wing nuts to connect to 300 ohm twin-lead cable. 300 ohm is the old TV antenna cable that was commonly used in the past. Today we use coaxial cable, which has a different impedance (75 ohms) than the twin lead. The balun both matches the impedance and adapts the cable type.

Yes, that sounds right. The preamp will have a power supply that you will need to put indoors somewhere, inline with the cable. Phantom power is supplied to the preamp via the coax. You'll also want to locate a grounding block for the coax shield near where the mast ground is bonded to the building ground.

Note that most coax has a copper-clad steel conductor. Copper clad works fine for high frequency but may have too much resistance in a long run for the DC phantom power. Probably won't matter at 50' or less, but I bought copper for my installation, which has about a 100' run.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote