View Single Post
Old 31-Jan-2015, 12:50 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

The summary I linked to would apply to a satellite receiving antenna the same as for OTA TV antenna systems. I would hope your satellite dish/mount was bonded to the electrical system grounding system using a method like the one described in the link. If the dish is being removed, you can often reuse the coax, grounding block and possibly the wire used to make the bond to the grounding point (if it's long enough to run unspliced to the OTA TV antenna mast). Avoid splicing a bonding conductor if at all possible.

Look for a #10 AWG (or heavier) copper conductor run from the satellite antenna mount, to the electrical service... Some installers are aware of the importance of this and do the job correctly. Some installs lack the proper bonding connections. There should also be a coax grounding block inline with the satellite system coax(es) and this should be bonded to the same electrical service grounding point as the dish/mount is. (This means there should be two bonding leads. One for the dish/mount and the other for the coax.)

Satellite systems often have multiswitches and other 'satellite system only' accessories inline. Generally, it's less trouble to simply presume all the old satellite accessories will block OTA frequencies and remove all of them. To avoid headaches, I'd only expect to be able to reuse the coax and grounding block... but beware of moisture intrusion and other damage that would call for scrapping the coax and starting with new.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote