View Single Post
Old 5-Jan-2014, 4:25 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

I'm not an attorney and I've never played one on TV...

As I read the OTARD rule, I understand that the HOA has the burden of proof, not you.

Satellite antennas have a size limit, OTA TV antennas are mentioned separately with no size limit. I would suppose that if you can achieve reliable reception of all the local market signals using a single small antenna, but chose to install a very large group of antennas, you may have a hard time defending against a claim by the HOA. However, if reliable reception in your specific setting can not be achieved by any lesser means, the use of an enormous deep space telescope array could be employed provided it was "... designed to receive local television broadcast signals." and the HOA would have to just sit on a pin. The local government may be able to require a permit if the project rises more than 12' above your roof peak, otherwise they have to sit on the same pin.

see: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule
re. the question, "Q: What types of antennas are covered by the rule?", do not apply answer #1 or #2 to your situation, only answer #3 applies to OTA television.

Much of the San Diego market is a 'two-antenna' market. In your case I'd suggest using an Antennas Direct DB8e facing 125° (compass) and an Antennacraft Y5713 pointed at 181° (compass). I would also be prepared to mast mount if required to clear obstructions.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote