View Single Post
Old 22-Feb-2010, 10:38 PM   #8
mtownsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
I have a gable mount and one of the problems is that since the roof angle is somewhat shallow, the bottom brace is longish and not as rigid as I would like.
You might also consider using a wall mount. That puts the mounting holes closer to the mast location and improves the stability of the setup.

If you have a suitable chimney, there are chimney straps that work well too.

One other thing to consider is to double-up on mounting hardware. With some kinds of mounts, its possible to use two sets of mounting hardware at the same time to get a really solid grip on the mast and distribute the stress over more mounting area.

Design and build quality of mounting hardware can vary from one brand to the next too (stainless steel vs aluminum, size/gauge of components, overall rigidity, etc.), so it helps to compare multiple options.

Quote:
Can you reccomend one or two antennas a little smaller and/or lighter than those that you mentioned in case I'm unable to stiffen the mount?
The reason for the large antenna recommendations was because almost all of your channels are in the "red" zone and pretty weak. Smaller antennas might get you some channels, but the gamble is that you won't get channels further down the list or that the signals will be marginal (occasional pixellation and drop-outs).

The Winegard HD7084P does comes in smaller versions within the same family of antennas, but I think that going smaller is a bad idea. I hope you can find a way to strengthen your mount because it's the better way to go.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote