Thread: Need Help
View Single Post
Old 24-Aug-2013, 3:40 AM   #16
davidlukewilcox

Outdoor Installation Issues

Hi,

I have a few questions about outdoor installation. I'm not sure if this is important, but here is my TVR: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae15510436d1.

First, I'm mounting a 91XG outside. My house is probably about 18-20' high at the lowest point where the eave comes down and about 27-30' high at the highest point on the eave. I'm going to borrow a 25' ladder from a coworker in a few weeks to mount my antenna.

I tested out the antenna outside and got pretty good reception mounting it on a shovel outside. One thing that happened to me is I left it outside and I think I fried my preamp. I had an RCA TVPRAMP1R that I think got fried by some rain. I need to make sure I weatherproof my stuff next time better. That's my first question... I think I understand how to put boots on the connector to the antenna and the preamp, but how do I connect two cables together? Do I have to weather proof that? Is there a weather proofing guide that I should follow?

I plan on buying another preamp in the next day or two, so let me know what you think I should do here. The preamp I had before seemed to work pretty well, but I am open to other options.

Next, I plan on grounding my antenna by running an 8 gauge copper wire from the antenna to the ground with a grounding rod. A diagram I found had the grounding wire from the antenna running down to a grounding block that the coax runs through, then down to the rod. Is this right? Should I be looking at doing anything else?

I plan on mounting my antenna on a j mount on the eave of my house as far up as I can get it, but probably close to 22-24' up. My eave is very large and I don't think that mounting on the house itself and clearing the eave will work since the eave is so wide. I plan on mounting it on two Channel Master 1805 masts making the total height 10 feet from the eave. I have a j mount already that has a diameter of 1.5". I noticed that the Channel Master 1805 masts say that they're universal and can fit basically all mounts, but that they are 1.25" in diameter. Is there an adapter that I will get with the masts that will adapt them to 1.5" in diameter? How do I fit a 1.25" mast in a 1.5" mount? The j mount I have is the one that comes with the ANT 751R. I this one sufficient or should I look for another?

Is this mast going to be sufficient or should I be looking at a more heavy duty mast?

Is there anything in general that you think I should know?
davidlukewilcox is offline   Reply With Quote