View Single Post
Old 21-Apr-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
qubeular

i dont so much want to see avc being included in the broadcast muxes too soon. i would like to see low power repeater stations no longer having to rebroadcast streams in hd. i would trade more range and less compromising antenna situations for that.

reducing the number of needed channels to get the program to the viewer to less than half. using the freed channels to broadcast more programming, llike kaxt. although from what i have seen on rabbitears.info kaxt broadcasts at the full or vga resolution, which can bit starve more than broadcasting streams at half D1.

i havent seen this in practace, yet i would like to see if these atsc machines can properly decode mpeg1 streams. at least sif resolution mpeg2.
im really suprised sif isnt explicitly part of the format. it seems stifling really.

i do feel avc will be pretty exiting for ota. it could mean "lite" versions of cable channels could end up on the air. since one mux or broadcast could carry around 30 sd quality channels. the number of available channels could currently exede that of basic cable currently. although if the proper steps were taken, the current (mpeg2) atsc implimentation could do this in nearly every town.
qubeular is offline   Reply With Quote