View Single Post
Old 14-Dec-2016, 7:50 PM   #1
lifespeed

antenna and low noise amp recommend for San Jose

Time to de-lurk and install some antenna hardware, here is my TVfool report. I would like to do without a rotor, and start with a single antenna pointed at Mt. Sutro and San Bruno in San Francisco at 314 degrees, although I am also hoping to get the 357 degree stations in Fremont if possible. I am not interested in the stations to the south. I'll be doing TV over ethernet using a Silicondust HDHR connect tuner(s).

I've been trying to decide between the DB8e and CM-4228HD antenna (don't need VHF, KGO 7 is repeated on UHF 48), as well as figure out if I would benefit from a LNA. I'm not entirely sure what's inside the HDHR tuner, but it may have a power splitter before any amplification, in which case an amp may be justified based on that alone. But like I said, I don't know much about the RF design of this tuner.

The antenna will be chimney-mounted on a 10' mast, which will put it 2 - 3 feet above the peak of a single story roof. Because of the networked tuner location in the attic, the run of RG6 will be less than 20'. I don't have trees nearby at 314 or 357 degrees.

In a nutshell, DB8e vs CM-4228HD antenna, and can I use a 18 dB gain pre-amp like the AD Juice without compressing and distorting the signal. Local tribal knowledge says the pre-amp is iffy.

Thanks in advance,

Lifespeed

Edit: Here is a teardown of the HDHR3 tuner. It looks like there is a pre-amp before the split to the dual tuner chips. With a short run of RG6 there may be little reason to use a pre-amp. Too bad they don't make that tuner in an outdoor enclosure version with Power Over Ethernet, could mount it on the mast and run ethernet up the pole.

Last edited by lifespeed; 14-Dec-2016 at 8:03 PM.
lifespeed is offline   Reply With Quote