View Single Post
Old 1-Feb-2011, 3:28 AM   #3
GroundUrMast

Simple raw MPEG-2 recording and play-back

On my XP based computer, I do not have a robust media center software package installed. Still, I am able to capture off-the-air to my hard drive. I did not need to write a scheduling script, just a batch file for each virtual channel.

Here is an example of a batch file that tunes the HD HomeRun tuner and then starts recording the data to a file. The file is MPEG-2 format.

Quote:
CD C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun
hdhomerun_config 101bec60 set /tuner0/channel auto:38
hdhomerun_config 101bec60 set /tuner0/program 3
hdhomerun_config 101bec60 save /tuner0 "C:\Documents and Settings\GroundUrMast\Desktop\HD Homerun\CH04-1.mpg"
The first line sets the current directory to the folder containing the HD Homerun utilties.
The second line sets the tuner to UHF CH 38 (the real channel KOMO-TV is broadcast on).
Line three sets the MPEG-2 transport stream number associated with virtual channel 4.1 (broadcaster dependent)
The forth line starts the save to file 'recording'.

The result is that I can start watching the recording file immediately, using Video LAN's VLC and if I want, I can pause and rewind. (Even though the file is being written too as VLC is reading from it.)

If I start the batch file manually, recording will continue until I terminate the batch process using CNTL+C.

I can also use the Task Scheduling utility in MS-XP (Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Scheduled Tasks) to run the batch file for unattended recording. Task scheduler has an option that allows you to end a process if it runs for a length of time.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 28-Feb-2011 at 10:51 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote