Thread: 91 XG Modified
View Single Post
Old 10-Jun-2020, 8:26 PM   #9
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Thanks Tripelo !

Quote:
Bob, Interesting modification.
Yes true, I had heard that adding a front section was about 1 dB added. I have no idea why others didn't report doing this.

Quote:

Still, every small, or not so small, amount of gain adds up.

Yes. The gain is there and I am happy with the mods...For now

Quote:
Don't know how far you are from the stations?
49 miles south of Milwaukee, in this case. I aim to Milwaukee since it is farther than Chicago. Plus I have a dense maple opposite! Here's my Rabbit Ears report:

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...tudy_id=103278

Quote:
Have noticed that stations that are LOS (in Dallas) are most stable between hours of about noon and mid-afternoon.

For stations that are considered '2-Edge' and 'tropo', they (in KY) are generally weaker in that same time range.
I was amazed at the difference in the signals strength overnight. Jeff Kitz told me he was getting some far away stations. From Eagle River he was getting Milwaukee. 242 miles away.

Quote:
Distant signals are usually stronger in mornings.

Such was the case

-----------------------------------

Quote:
You are discovering the tradeoffs of lengthening Yagis vs stacking. Each has some advantage.

For example:

Ideally, stacking gain could approach 3dB for all the channels the antennas were designed for.

Lengthening a Yagi generally increases gain the most at the highest channels. Provides less increase in gain for lower channels.

Contrary to popular opinion, doubling length of a high-gain broadband Yagi does not double gain (3dB) for all channels. For theoretical reasons, doubling length of a normal high-gain Yagi will not double gain for even the high channels.
That would probably make sense in my case although consistently 556 MHz the 163 XG is at least 6 dB better than the 91 XG consistently.
-----------------------------------

Quote:
Depending on individual circumstances , there may be good reasons to prefer a long Yagi over a stacked pair, or vice-versa.

You are doing some interesting projects.
Thanks, It's fun. I am a little disappointed in my stacking attempts though.

I do have 3 brand new 91 XGs ready for testing and one other I can assemble.

I am tempted to play with a quad array but.... I don't know yet, I am going to perfect my dual stack first.

I want to attempt the twin lead lossless balun though.

Believe me, if I could have made the 1/4 wave transformer work, I would have. I will admit, that was really painful.

I think the twin lead endeavor is my best hope for low loss stacking.

I will keep you all informed!

Special ordered the ferrite for the loss less balun two different types, one for VHF and one for UHF:

This is all new to me. Any tips?

Last edited by bobsgarage; 10-Jun-2020 at 10:02 PM.
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote