View Single Post
Old 10-Jun-2015, 9:52 PM   #10
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
Yes, the trees are all pretty high here, both the pine trees on the north side of the pond, and the black oak next to the highway. To the north and west are white oaks. The trees are a key reason why I bought the property, and I'm not inclined to turn them into firewood.

Having said that, I am very interested in an OTA experiment. I'm a scientist, and have no issues being a guinea pig. So please, bring it on! I've got a quite competent local contractor up here in Elsberry with a lift and an electrician who installed the wiring in my new garage apartment. All I need to do is provide the antennae, rotor, cable, etc. and they are happy to install it.

If I can get one to a few channels sporadically to complement my Netflix that would be nice.
IF all else fails you can use one of the trees to mount a antenna at the top. Believe it or not I did this years ago when I still lived in Connecticut. Had a friend climb to the top of a 50 foot tree in our yard and install a VHF antenna pointed pointed towards Boston so that I could get a few of their stations which ran 24 hours. Nothing in Hartford or Springfield, MA a that time ran 24 hours.

Worked pretty well. I was able to get Ch. 4 and 5 at all hours of the day and Ch. 2 and 7 at night. As a bonus it even picked up the three VHF stations in Providence on Ch. 6, 10 and 12.

It is simply a matter of deciding which antenna is best for your situation and then find someone willing to climb the tree and mount it up there.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote