Thread: Opinions please
View Single Post
Old 14-May-2015, 2:27 PM   #10
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfromct View Post
Do you think I am better off shooting for the ABC station in Springfield(WGGB) or the ABC station in New Haven(WTNH)?
ABC WGGB from Springfield is a UHF station on real UHF channel 40. You would be trying to combine it, using a splitter in reverse, with the UHF channels from Hartford. This is not easily done, because the same signals picked up from both UHF antennas might interfere with each other at the combining point if they are not in phase. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I think you should try the HD7694P aimed between New Haven and Hartford as suggested, to pick up WTNH.

If that doesn't work, try the 7694 aimed directly at WTNH, and add an RCA ANT751 with a UVSJ (UHF-VHF Separator-Joiner, AKA UHF-VHF diplexer) to pick up the UHF channels from Hartford. The 7694 connects to the VHF port and the 751 connects to the UHF port. The UVSJ, which looks like a splitter, is a low-loss device that contains a low-pass filter for VHF and a high-pass filter for UHF.
http://www.hollandelectronics.com/ca...-Diplexers.pdf

If that doesn't work, come back to this thread and let us know. I will probably suggest the RCA ANT751 aimed at Hartford connected to the antenna input of the TV, and a second 751 aimed at Springfield for WGGB, connected to a separate tuner. The A/V output of the tuner would go to the A/V input of the TV. You would switch antennas by using the TV input switch. If you want WGGB ABC and WWLP NBC from Springfield, use the 7694 for that direction, instead of the 751.

Disclaimer: I can't guarantee that my suggestions will work, but they are my best guess based on the information you have given. I'm still worried about the trees, I don't know how many TVs you have, and I don't know how long the coax downlead from the antenna will be.

I am fairly certain you don't need a preamp.

Last edited by rabbit73; 14-May-2015 at 5:36 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote